[Phpmyadmin-devel] Long list of notes from meeting with people

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Sat May 10 21:22:06 CEST 2014

Hello,

These are some items that came up today from talking with users.

I thought some of these points deserve further discussion before opening
a feature request or bug report. What do you think of these?

1) User suggestion that we add a link to the Export page to "Save this
as default for export preferences". This would probably tie in to the
User Preference module somehow since some of these preferences are
already set there (or in config.inc.php).

~~This might be nice if it can be done without making things overly complex.

2) User suggestion that we have an SQL formatter. This would be a way to
take a long string of SQL and have it pretty-printed without actually
running the query.

~~There exist other tools to do this (plus we do it if a query is run)
and I don't really see a need to incorporate that functionality here.

3) The same user told us that he does not like the blue row highlight
when mousing over a row while browsing. "I already know where my mouse
is, I don't need the blue highlight to show me," he said. So we should
discuss whether this should be continued or removed.

~~This is configurable already, so he just has to edit his
config.inc.php or User Preferences to enable/disable it.

4) The same user again stated that he does not care for the underline
style for showing a column with a key (in the Structure tab). The
suggestion is to instead put a small key icon in front or behind the
name of the column to indicate that it's a key.

5) J.M. suggests that we allow a calendar/time picker in the Monitor
window. Once you drag to highlight an area on the chart, a dialog pops
up displaying the start and end time plus two checkboxes for picking
details about what to display. Those date/time fields do not currently
have the date/time picker widget.

6) The resulting data in the Monitor view (after selecting a region/time
to focus on) is displayed in a table-like format but is not sortable.
J.M. suggests that it should be.

7) Again in the Monitor view, after selecting some amount of time and
displaying the logs, a dialog appears saying "Loading logs. Log data
loaded. Queries executed in this time span: Select: 10 Total: 10" J.M.
said this scrolls and should not scroll.

8) Again thanks to J.M., when in Browse mode and viewing table data, you
can apply multiple sort options. The only way to remove a column from
the sort is to shift-click it. J.M. suggests that we should have a way
to quickly remove all sorting, so that if a user sorts by for instance
first name, last name, and actor_id that we can allow them to quickly
clear all three sort options in one click.

That's all for now. Thank you for your thoughts.

~isaac