[Phpmyadmin-devel] Long list of notes from meeting with people

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Wed May 14 15:14:42 CEST 2014

Hi

Dne Sat, 10 May 2014 15:22:06 -0400
Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> 1) User suggestion that we add a link to the Export page to "Save this
> as default for export preferences". This would probably tie in to the
> User Preference module somehow since some of these preferences are
> already set there (or in config.inc.php).

Indeed sounds like an useful way to save the defaults from the export
(and possibly import as well) to the user preferences.

> 2) User suggestion that we have an SQL formatter. This would be a way to
> take a long string of SQL and have it pretty-printed without actually
> running the query.

Since we no longer format the SQL in the PHP, but rather use CodeMirror
for that, I think it's better to recommend them using same solution as
well.

> 3) The same user told us that he does not like the blue row highlight
> when mousing over a row while browsing. "I already know where my mouse
> is, I don't need the blue highlight to show me," he said. So we should
> discuss whether this should be continued or removed.

I think this is feature many people like and many dislike, not sure if
we should do something about that.

> 4) The same user again stated that he does not care for the underline
> style for showing a column with a key (in the Structure tab). The
> suggestion is to instead put a small key icon in front or behind the
> name of the column to indicate that it's a key.

Having icon might indeed add better visual clue what is there.

> 5) J.M. suggests that we allow a calendar/time picker in the Monitor
> window. Once you drag to highlight an area on the chart, a dialog pops
> up displaying the start and end time plus two checkboxes for picking
> details about what to display. Those date/time fields do not currently
> have the date/time picker widget.

Sounds logical thing to do.

> 6) The resulting data in the Monitor view (after selecting a region/time
> to focus on) is displayed in a table-like format but is not sortable.
> J.M. suggests that it should be.

Again looks like useful thing to do.

> 7) Again in the Monitor view, after selecting some amount of time and
> displaying the logs, a dialog appears saying "Loading logs. Log data
> loaded. Queries executed in this time span: Select: 10 Total: 10" J.M.
> said this scrolls and should not scroll.

Hmm, do we need this as a dialog at all?

> 8) Again thanks to J.M., when in Browse mode and viewing table data, you
> can apply multiple sort options. The only way to remove a column from
> the sort is to shift-click it. J.M. suggests that we should have a way
> to quickly remove all sorting, so that if a user sorts by for instance
> first name, last name, and actor_id that we can allow them to quickly
> clear all three sort options in one click.

Not sure how to do this nicely UI wise...

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.net