[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFE #982 : Support for editing binary fields in hexadecimal

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Thu May 15 17:31:24 CEST 2014

Sorry for the delay, I was offline most of yesterday.

On 5/14/14 2:34 PM, Chirayu Chiripal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does this feature mean editing binary and blob fields should be done in
> hexadecimals always?

That's how I understand the feature request.

In discussing this, we should make the distinction between the type
BINARY and the binary _attribute_ (as in CHAR BINARY or VARCHAR BINARY).

> And, even when table is browsed they should be shown in hexadecimal only?

Yes, that makes the most sense to me.

> If yes, then there is no need for this $cfg['DisplayBinaryAsHex']?

As far as I know this is correct.

> And for $cfg['ProtectBinary'], IMHO it should not be removed so that
> users have and option to disable editing of binary fields to avoid
> accidental changes to data (even though they can be edited in
> hexadecimal form). Also, BLOB data can be very large and if we remove
> this config. var. then whenever someone will try to edit row then every
> time that BLOB field data will be displayed (which can be very very
> large) will have performance issue as well as it can annoy the user.

I agree with your assessment.