[Phpmyadmin-devel] possible patch for 4.3.0: PHP OpenSSL support

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Tue Nov 18 09:11:18 CET 2014

Hi

Dne Mon, 17 Nov 2014 16:00:30 -0500
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> Marc Delisle a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Robert Scheck from Fedora would like his patch to be merged in time for
> > 4.3.0. I feel that we should have a look at it even if we said we froze
> > 4.3.x for new features.
> >
> > Here is his email.
> > -----
> >
> > Hello Marc,
> >
> > when I read your e-mail regarding phpMyAdmin 4.3.0-alpha1, I remembered
> > back to my patch to add PHP OpenSSL support (additionally to MCrypt and
> > phpseclib) at https://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/feature-requests/1537/
> > again. Is there any chance for a decision for 4.3.0 series? I guess this
> > (hopefully) not much work for an experienced PHP developer to review and
> > maybe to adapt slightly if needed.
> >
> > My main reason for asking you is that (especially RHEL) doesn't contain
> > PHP MCrypt while PHP OpenSSL is even faster (if I can believe Roundcube
> > Webmail developers). Indeed PHP MCrypt is available via a separate repo
> > for RHEL/CentOS users but that causes some mixed feelings from time to
> > time again. The goal would be to additionally support PHP OpenSSL
> > without dropping any other existing MCrypt and phpseclib support.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >   Robert
> >

> The patch looks fine to me, apart from a minor addition I made to avoid
> a warning (see the feature request). I would appreciate that someone
> else review the patch.
>
> Any feedback on the process of adding this feature to 4.3.0 ?

I think it's fine, the patch looks sane, but IMHO it should come with
tests that ensure that encrypted data is compatible with other
implementations (we currently only have one test which expects same
behavior regardless implementation see
PMA_AuthenticationCookie_Test::testCookieEncrypt/testCookieDecrypt).

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.net