[Phpmyadmin-devel] testing master on a server with many databases

Madhura Jayaratne madhura.cj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 06:51:55 CEST 2014

Hi Marc,

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With current master (8785ea0) I made some tests on a MySQL 5.5.37 server
> containing about 81000 databases and about 81000 users.
>
> In the mysql.db tables there are about 81000 grant entries; each one
> grants some wildcard access to databases starting with a certain pattern.
>
> I tested with root, since the reports we got about the server being slow
> seem to be occurring for root.

In bug #4243 [1] the slowness was reported for unprivileged user. Can you
also test this scenario?

> Good news
> ---------
>
> First, the login. It takes about 7 seconds before seeing the initial
> page after login.
>
> In the navi panel, there is a db page selector with 107 page numbers.
> Going to any page takes about 7 seconds. Opening a db takes about 4
> second (each db seems to contain about 31 tables).
>
> Browsing tables, grid editing, searching inside a table behave normally.
>
> Using Server > Databases works correctly, including switching pages.
>
> Great!
I saw a couple of queries we can avoid when loading the navigation panel.
I'll be working on them today

> Problems
> --------
>
> Going to a MyISAM table, Structure, and trying to change a column's
> structure takes 30 seconds before seeing the dialog for this column.
> Switching this table to InnoDB does not help.
>
> Database filter: I got mixed results. Sometimes it works (after about 10
> seconds) but sometimes it stalls and does not find anything. I could not
> find a consistent way to reproduce.
>
> Server > Users: "Error in processing request. Error code: 500. Error
> text: Internal server error".
>
> I'll try to recreate these issues in my environment and update you all on
the progress.

Did you perform these test on the server provided by JM? It would be great
if I can would get access to that, so I can test my commits immediately.
Btw, does this server functions as our demo, automatically updating to new
commits?

Were all these tests done with grouping enabled in the navigation? I'm
quite interested in seeing how the performance would be when the it is
disabled.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/phpmyadmin/bugs/4243/

--
Thanks and Regards,