[Phpmyadmin-devel] #4536 - master: import problem (PMA_String)

Hugues Peccatte hugues.peccatte at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 16:30:43 CEST 2014

> Le 2014-09-20 21:05, Marc Delisle a écrit :
> > Hi Hugues,
> >
> > I have not looked deep into this logic, so it seems that you've become
> > the expert here in these matters.
> >
> > Taking into account that the current master is not acceptable for a
> > 4.3.0-alpha release, I see a few choices:
> >
> > - remove the mb modifications from the import logic

This one would be the easiest.

> > - remove the current parser from the import logic, therefore removing
> > support for things like a custom delimiter and probably other things
> > (import of compressed files?)

The issue isn't about compressed files. I tried to import the SQL into your
zip file: it was too long…

> > - delay 4.3.0 until we find the correct solution with mb

I don't know the delay to find a solution, so not sure that would be enough.

> We could also add another (!) custom option in the import dialog:
> multi-byte or not.

This might be possible… I'll do some tests about choosing the PMA_String*
to use.

> The multi-byte way is the more correct one for importing files with
> multi-byte characters, but simply does not work for big files (10 to 15
> times slower). So by default, the option could be set to not use the
> multi-byte way.
>
> A user with a big multi-byte file would have a problem, unless she is
> allowed to set the PHP execution time limit to huge values (which not
> many sysadmins will allow unless they want their shared server to
> perform badly).
>
> --
> Marc Delisle | phpMyAdmin

Thanks for your feedback.