[Phpmyadmin-devel] #4536 - master: import problem (PMA_String)

Hugues Peccatte hugues.peccatte at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 18:49:23 CEST 2014

> >> With "git reflog", I've been able to get it back:
> >> git checkout -b memory 972e038
> >>
> >> What do you have in mind?
> >>
> >> Hugues.
> >>

> > I did a simple test:
> > * run substr 100000 times
> > * run $obj->substr 100000 times (where $obj->substr simply calls substr)
> >
> > The second one is 3 times longer than the first one. The simple fact to
> use
> > an object is too long.
> > I tried something else: overwrite the functions. It's better: 2 times
> > longer that the first one, but still slower…
> >
> > That means that importing your file would take ~24 seconds instead of ~12
> > seconds.
> >
> > Should we think about defining "pmaSubstr", "pmaStrlen", etc functions
> and
> > use it everywhere?
>
> Do you mean using functions without objects?
>
> --
> Marc Delisle (phpMyAdmin)

That's it. Instead of using $pmaString->strlen or strlen, we could imagine
to use pmaStrlen and this function would call strlen or mb_strlen if mb_*
functions exist.
Another way could be to overwrite strlen with mb_strlen, but we wouldn't be
able to use the original strlen if needed. So I think that we should define
new functions.

I'll try to do a mass replacement and check if the execution time is better.

Hugues.