[Phpmyadmin-devel] #4536 - master: import problem (PMA_String)

Hugues Peccatte hugues.peccatte at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 21:47:04 CEST 2014

> Hugues Peccatte a écrit :
> >
> > That's it. Instead of using $pmaString->strlen or strlen, we could
> imagine
> > to use pmaStrlen and this function would call strlen or mb_strlen if mb_*
> > functions exist.
> > Another way could be to overwrite strlen with mb_strlen, but we wouldn't
> be
> > able to use the original strlen if needed. So I think that we should
> define
> > new functions.
>
> What I don't like is that we would have two different syntaxes to call
> string functions. We would need comments in the calling code to explain
> why we are using a way and not another way.
>

> > I'll try to do a mass replacement and check if the execution time is
> better.
> >
> > Hugues.
>
> --
> Marc Delisle (phpMyAdmin)

If by "two ways", you think about PMA_String and pmaStr* functions, there
should be a misunderstanding. I don't want to keep PMA_String (at least,
not for string functions), I'd like to migrate it into functions. Here, I
kept it not to break anything, just to check performance.
If you think about pmaStr* functions and standard PHP functions, I don't
think this is a real issue, because we use PMA string object almost
everywhere today, so it would be replaced by function calls.

Hugues.