[Phpmyadmin-devel] #4536 - master: import problem (PMA_String)

Hugues Peccatte hugues.peccatte at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:40:50 CEST 2014

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Madhura Jayaratne <madhura.cj at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
>>>

>>> In the current implementation, the mb_* functions are preferred; so we
>>> would use the same priority, to define functions like PMA_substr().

Ok. I'll try to do this.

>> For what it's worth I did some profiling of the import functionality and
>> here is what I observed.

It's worth it!

>> If we consider the substring functionality
>>
>> Using the native functions wrapped in OOP function calls,
>> php::substr took 0.34 micro secs on average (2.7ms for 8308 calls)
>> PMA_StringNative->substr took 13.26 micro secs on average (110ms for 8295
>> calls)
>> PMS_String->substr took 28.93 micro secs on average (244ms for 8294 calls)
>>
>> Using the mb functions wrapped in OOP function calls,
>> php::mb_substr took 22 micro secs on average (220ms for 9700 calls)
>> PMA_StringMB->substr took 120.54 micro secs on average (1170ms for 9706
>> calls)
>> PMS_String->substr took 115.50 micro secs on average (958ms for 8294
>> calls)
>>
>> So it seems like both factors (using mb functions as well as object
>> orientation) are responsible for the slowness.

Yes, we know than both makes the script slower. OOP can be avoided, but I
don't think that we could avoid using mb functions. So this is our minimal
constraint.

>> See the attached screenshots too.

I don't know this tool! What is it please? This seems to be very useful, at
least for the benchmark I try to do currently.

> I was just wondering what will be the effect if we make current methods as
> static in those classes?

Interesting question. :) I'll include it into my benchmark and give the
result.

>> --
>> Thanks and Regards,
>>
>> Madhura Jayaratne