[phpMyAdmin Developers] PHPCS: leading underscore on protected / private attributes / methods

Hugues Peccatte hugues.peccatte at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 11:34:59 CEST 2015

Le mar. 25 août 2015 à 15:40, Hugues Peccatte <hugues.peccatte at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Le mar. 25 août 2015 à 12:06, Atul Pratap Singh <
> atulpratapsingh05 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:28 AM, Hugues Peccatte <
>> hugues.peccatte at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> phpMyAdmin's ruleset is based on PEAR standards. One of this standard
>>> (PEAR_Sniffs_NamingConventions_ValidVariableNameSniff) is to name class'
>>> attributes / methods with a leading underscore when the element is
>>> protected / private.
>>> This rule is quite useful because it helps to see very quickly if an
>>> element is public or not. But
>>> http://www.php-fig.org/psr/psr-2/#4-2-properties asks not to use this
>>> leading underscore.
>>> For attributes, I'm not sure this is a big deal because almost all the
>>> attributes shouldn't be visible and accessible only by getters / setters.
>>> But for methods, there is nothing to know the visibility of a method.
>>> However actual IDE help to see this.
>>>
>>> Do you think that we should follow PSR2? Only for attributes maybe?
>>> Should we consider to base our ruleset on another standard closest to
>>> PSR rules?
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>
>> I agree to follow PSR-2 no underscore recommendation for attributes and
>> going forward we may lean more towards PSR, specifically about achieving
>> codebase wide autoloading of classes(PSR-4).
>>
>> Also, I think https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/11365 needs
>> to be rebased.
>>

>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Atul Pratap Singh
>>

> Hi,
>
> I won't rebase the branch but remove it.
> I'll see the modifications I can do to stick to PSR 0 to 2 rules.
>
> H.

Hi,

Some days ago, we spoke about this code in all files:
if (! defined('PHPMYADMIN')) {
    exit;
}

In PSR, one of the rules is the "side effects" [0]. This rule says not to
have class/functions/etc declaration and execution in the same file. And
the code above is considered as execution. So here I don't want to restart
the discussion, but we may have to change this if we really want to stick
(not sure about this english word…) to PSR rules.

H.

[0] http://www.php-fig.org/psr/psr-1/#2-3-side-effects