[phpMyAdmin Developers] minimum PHP version?

deoren phpmyadmin-devel at whyaskwhy.org
Wed Aug 26 21:30:49 CEST 2015

On 8/20/2015 11:23 AM, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looking at [0], PHP 5.3 is EOL. I suggest that for phpMyAdmin 4.5 we
> state that PHP 5.4 is the minimum. Doing so, we would have less testing
> to do, and we would help promote using a PHP supported version.
>
> I would even suggest PHP 5.5 as the minimum, because the end of security
> support for PHP 5.4 occurs in less than one month.
>
> [0] http://php.net/supported-versions.php

Do you base the minimum PHP version on upstream or what is supported by LTS versions of common distros? I see on the download page that you plan to support 4.0.10.x until Jan 1, 2017. Do you have plans to support a version of phpMyAdmin throughout the lifetime of those distros? Is it instead up to each distro to provide a package with backported fixes?

Example distros:

* Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (EOL April 2017)
* CentOS 6.x (EOL November 2020)

Thanks for your time.