[phpMyAdmin Developers] Decide if mbstring is required or not

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Mon Dec 28 14:06:11 CET 2015

Le 2015-12-28 04:57, Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> while looking at our code, I've noticed quite inconsistent behavior for
> mbstring library.
>
> - We require it.
> - We provide stubs to replace it in cases it's not there [1].
> - We use it unconditionally in other places [2].
>
> I think we should settle down to something more consistent :-). Given
> that requiring it didn't seem to cause much troubles, I'd simply chose
> this way, but I really don't have strong opinion on this.
>
> [1]: in libraries/stringNative.lib.php
> [2]: eg. mb_detect_encoding in libraries/Util.class.php

After seeing that "phpmyadmin mbstring extension is missing" returns
many hits on Google, my opinion is:

* keep the stubs
* add the missing stubs (like mb_detect_encoding), maybe based on the
suggestions available as comments on [3]
* maybe remove the "extension is missing" message (in 4.6)
* in the doc, replace the requirement by a performance suggestion

[3] http://php.net/mb_detect_encoding

--
Marc Delisle | phpMyAdmin