[Phpmyadmin-devel] Codebase Improvements: OOP and refactoring

Amar Budhiraja amar.budhiraja1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 14:55:38 CET 2015

Hi Issac,

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 7:19 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Amar,
>
> On 2/21/15 12:56 AM, Amar Budhiraja wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am a junior undergraduate student in India and I wanted to start in
> > the direction of the project Codebase Improvements: OOP and refactoring.
> >
> > I have done a similar project for a Software Engineering course in my
> > own university where I worked on a "working" Teaching Fellows
> > Applications portal. The portal was built using an MVC framework:
> > web2py. The goal of the project was to refactor the entire system to
> > meet code standards and divide the codebase into logical components and
> > classes to make it more readable and easy to extend.
> >
> > Relevant to the project, my skill set includes PHP, HTML/CSS and JS. I
> > have with codeigniter framework to develop a project which gave a good
> > experience of OBJECT ORIENTED PHP as well.
> >
> > I am fairly new to open source development and I would highly appreciate
> > if someone could give me directions as to where should I start.
>
> Welcome. Have you seen
> https://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Category:Google_Summer_of_Code_2015 ?

I did check the wiki page but I couldn't find a starting point to start the
contribution in that and that's why I emailed on the developer's list.

I would highly appreciate if someone could tell where to start off.
Starting with bugs is a good idea, keeping the project in mind or should I
start with refactoring of small modules in the codebase?

Thanks

Regards,
Amar