[Phpmyadmin-devel] Codebase Improvements: OOP and refactoring

Amar Budhiraja amar.budhiraja1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 16:20:07 CET 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Atul Pratap Singh <
atulpratapsingh05 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 February 2015 at 19:47, Amar Budhiraja <amar.budhiraja1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Atul Pratap Singh <
>> atulpratapsingh05 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> refactoring.

>>> and

>>> good

>>> appreciate

>>> Plus, relevant the OOPing idea, you may want to take time to look into
>>> the codebase and try contributing through pull requests some proof of
>>> concept, initial refactoring or OOPing.
>>>
>> I was looking in the same direction in the codebase. However, is there
>> any particular code fragment that may be, you would like to assign to me.
>> May be something that has relatively lesser dependencies to help me get
>> started?
>>

>>>  Maybe have a look at Server=>Status component related scripts which
> appear relatively less dependent to me..

Thank you for the pointer.

> About broader MVC movement, there has been some initial discussion on a
>>> thread in this mailing, as of now just about the suitable framework, so you
>>> may want to see that as well if you plan to propose a MVC directed idea..
>>>

>> I just read through the archives about the idea. From what I gather, I
>> think, it will most suitable to come up with some sort of architectural
>> design first, may be UML and then refactor the codebase on those guidelines
>> and then finally integrate it as an MVC architecture. However, it sounds
>> like it may take a little while.
>>
>>> Sure, coming up initially with a high level architectural design will
> help directing the refactoring effort in right direction. If you wish, we
> welcome initiating any such design.. Also, there seems to be a consensus so
> far that we will need to use an existing framework to help enforce MVC
> migration. Did you mean evolving the codebase incrementally without a
> framework or you meant going for a framework? Anyway, it will be a near
> complete rewrite of the system.

I believe we have a design for the system, doing refactoring based on that
would result in a much more quality code, compared to refactoring
independent modules without having a proper design.
Regarding MVC, I was talking about using an open-source MVC framework for
the task that is build upon OOPs , may be codeigniter or cakephp.

> And as it requires broader inputs and discussion from developer community,
> you may want to post your ideas on the earlier ongoing thread about MVC.

I'll post my ideas to the respective list as well.

> --
> Atul Pratap Singh
> http://blog.atulsisodia.in/

> Thank you