[Phpmyadmin-devel] Designer settings should be part of the saved state -- but how?

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:04:21 CEST 2015

On 6/14/15 5:28 PM, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Le 2015-06-13 02:20, Isaac Bennetch a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> Deven is working on RFE 1060 [0] which requests that the Designer "snap
>> to grid" and "angular links/direct links" settings should be remembered.
>>
>> In the tracker artifact, you can see (or I'll summarize below) we're
>> discussing how exactly to preserve this information and I'm open to
>> additional opinions.
>>
>> Configuration directive: I don't like adding two more directives plus we
>> can't toggle the value in `config.inc.php` when the user toggles the
>> setting in Designer. This solution seems quite undesirable.
>>
>> phpMyAdmin Configuration Storage: Seems the best place; we already store
>> Designer coordinates here and PDF page layout. Would probably require
>> modifying the schema unless we come up with some wild idea like storing
>> the preference in 'pma__table_coords' and some specially crafted db_name
>> and table_name (without testing it, I'm imagining NULL for each, and x
>> and y can store a 0 or 1 for each of the two factors we're storing. It's
>> quite late so I'm not sure if this idea is brilliant or awful, but I
>> suspect it's the latter. I don't see a point to adding a whole new table
>> to track two values of true or false, so perhaps this idea isn't ideal,
>> either.
>>
>> Session storage/Cookie: An obvious choice, except it only persists in
>> the user's browser; if they use a new computer the value is lost. In
>> this case, it's a quick toggle to restore the setting, so part of me
>> wonders if this is the best solution.
>>
>> I welcome your input, otherwise Deven and I will continue ahead
>> regardless :)
>
> I would go with the configuration storage, but in a new table. This will
> enable persistence, and will give the opportunity to remember other
> things in the designer, for example full screen, small/big all, move
> menu (left or right) and toggle relation lines.

Hi,

We have two differing opinions about this; Marc suggested the new table
and Madhura suggested the session storage. Deven has implemented
both[0][1] as pull requests but now we need to decide what's best.

I'm not thrilled about adding another table, but I think the database
solution is the best one for a seamless user experience.

Any other thoughts from the team?

0 - https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/1732
1 - https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/pull/1737