[Phpmyadmin-devel] Introduction to myself as GSOC aspirant and some details about parser rewrite project

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Fri Mar 6 14:53:06 CET 2015

Nisarg Jhaveri a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I am a student from India. I have been using phpMyAdmin for many years now.
> It helped me a lot when I was trying to learn PHP, Databases, etc. Thank
> you. :)
>
> I also have been involved with development of phpMyAdmin for some time and
> now I intend to participate in GSOC 2015 with phpMyAdmin.
>
> The parser rewrite/replace project interests me, and I would like some more
> details and clarifications about it.
>
> I tried searching for some project that already does what we want to do, I
> found a project, https://code.google.com/p/php-sql-parser/.
>
> This seems like a fairly good parser, with New BSD Licence, which I think
> is compatible with licence of PMA.
>
> Some problems with the project IMO,
> 1. Probably, not active. (Last commit in September 2014, with last release
> in April 2014)
> 2. Probably does more things than we need (So, maybe bloated for us)
> 3. Does not provide SQL formatting, which is part of current parser in PMA.
> So, we may have to extend the new parser or use something else.
>
> If we think that this parser is a really good parser, we should use it and
> find solutions to the problems above.
>
> Solution for 1,3: We can always adopt the project and develop/maintain it
> further. (Because we need it :P)
> Solution for 2: Use it more and provide more features in PMA ;)
>
> If the team does not like or want to use the external project. I am ready
> and excited about writing a new parser/analyzer.
>
> Also, if someone can list some more examples where we need to parse SQL
> queries, it would be helpful to understand the project more. I am already
> checking the code-base, but there are chances that I might miss the need of
> it sometimes.
>
> I would also like some more information about the feature requests listed
> on Idea page, but I will ask this on feature tracker.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Nisarg Jhaveri
> નિસર્ગ ઝવેરી

Hi Nisarg,
thanks for your interest. It would be better to start from an existing
parser, but I haven't studied the library you suggest. It can be part of
your proposal though.

About formatting, PMA_SQP_format() is only used in 'query_only' mode.
The formatting you can see comes from CodeMirror.

To see examples, I replied to you in one of the feature tickets, but in
general, this should give you a good start:

git grep PMA_SQP_parse
git grep PMA_SQP_analyze

--
Marc Delisle (phpMyAdmin)