[Phpmyadmin-devel] Changes to MySQL user administration commands

Morgan Tocker morgan.tocker at oracle.com
Wed Mar 11 20:13:26 CET 2015

Hi phpmyadmin list,

I wanted to provide some warning on changes happening in MySQL 5.7:

- The GRANT command is intended to be used to set privileges for a user.  Allowing it to automatically create users (NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER sql mode) and set passwords is deprecated.  NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER will also be enabled by default.

- There are new commands for user administration.  For example SHOW CREATE USER: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/show-create-user.html and ALTER USER http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/alter-user.html

- The SET PASSWORD=PASSWORD(‘password’) syntax is also changed to SET PASSWORD=‘password’.  The previous syntax will remain supported (not withstanding a current bug: http://www.tocker.ca/2015/03/10/heads-up-mysql-5-7-dmr6-contains-a-small-known-bug.html) but deprecated.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  I’d be happy to help!

--
Morgan Tocker
MySQL Community Manager