[Phpmyadmin-devel] Regarding RFE #701

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Thu May 28 07:20:54 CEST 2015

> On May 27, 2015, at 9:18 AM, Deven Bansod <devenbansod.bits at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Isaac,
>
>> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Deven,
>>
>> On 5/25/15 11:25 AM, Deven Bansod wrote:
>> > ​Hi,
>> > ​
>> > ​Thanks for the reply.​
>> >
>> > On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com
>> > <mailto:bennetch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     >
>> >     > /I had something in mind about the implementation, but am not able to
>> >     > figure some details. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. /
>> >
>> >     My first thought when I saw the initial feature request years ago was to
>> >     make a print view stylesheet (such as [0])that hides the navigation
>> >     frame, menu bar, etc. At the time, that wasn't a viable option because
>> >     of the frameset, but with the move to a single page for display it might
>> >     be possible now. I did not test whether this would actually work for us,
>> >     but if it does the "Print" button can simply become a javascript
>> >     function to tell the browser to print rather than opening a whole new
>> >     plain-formatted page with different rendering. For me, this certainly
>> >     would be the preferred method if it works.
>> >

>> > ​Thanks for the link. I will look into it and explore.​
>>
>> I take it the pure CSS solution didn't work out for you?
>
> ​I would be incorrect if I said, I tried it out completely.
> But the problem is for printing a specific stylesheet, I would have to
> do a lot of changes(not that I am scared to do so).
>
> The thing is one would get a print out like the one attached with just few lines of JQuery
> code i.e. making navigation, floating menubar and other extra things as
> 'display:none'. Example with just 4-5 changes to 'display:none' is attached (done manually).

I see.

> But the proper print of #tablelistcontainer would require some work because we
> would have to skip over the action links (ex. Browse, Structure etc.);
> Shift the page_content ​towards center of page and try to accommodate all columns
>
> So, since I had already started out on the method I mentioned in my first mail on this
> thread I thought let's go forward with it and if it does not work out, I will work over the
> stylesheet method.

I understand.

> I have submitted a PR[0] with that method, if it seems unsatisfactory, I will try and work over this.
>
> Also, I have expressed a doubt regarding the tbl_printview.php working for mult_submits on the ticket[1].

Handling of this complexity is one of the things that made me reconsider.

> Any suggestions/ comments over the PR and the doubt in [1] will be very helpful.

I would like to do some tests before making a decision and having more information to guide you further. I'll work on that in the morning as its bed time here now. In the mean time if you need a task you could of course begin planning or work on your next item or any maintenance you feel is needed on the already submitted ones.

Since you are ahead of your schedule at the moment I don't think this should be a problem at all to have some delay on this task.