[phpMyAdmin Developers] Removing plugins

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Wed Oct 21 14:17:30 CEST 2015

Hi

Dne Sun, 18 Oct 2015 10:26:07 -0400
Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> As you may recall from the last IRC meeting, I'm working on testing and
> documentation around issue #6137 [0] by removing some
> features/plugins/libraries and testing/documenting my success.
>
> So far I've had good luck with removing some things (for instance
> tcpdf), but I've discovered two noteworthy problems.
>
> 1) When js/jqplot/ is removed, "Status -> Query statistics" does not
> fail gracefully, it instead offers to submit a report to the error
> reporting server.
>
> 2) when libraries/gis/ is removed, "Visulize GIS data" does not fail
> gravefully, instead it gets stuck on saying "Loading..."
>
> In comparison, something that degrades very well is the removal of
> tcpdf; if the pdf library is missing the export dialog simply doesn't
> show PDF as an export type.

For the PDF I've implemented it to allow optional dependency on TCPDF
on Debian (full TCPDF is quite big pulling in several fonts as well in
total bringing 13 MB), see

> So my question is what you think we should do about this -- this is
> clearly beyond the scope of what is normally expected; it's not normal
> for a user to remove libraries and code, but in order for this feature
> request to be improved I think the code should handle this better.
> Should we spend time on this?

I think we should document what is currently safe to remove (at
least TCPDF, javascript sources, setup and translations are safe). I
don't think it's worth to implement it for tiny libs (eg. GIS
stuff has 160 KB).

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.net