[phpMyAdmin Developers] End of support for 4.4.15

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 04:02:05 CET 2016

Hello,

On 12/8/16 4:00 AM, Michal Čihař wrote:
> Hi
>
> Michal Čihař píše v Pá 25. 11. 2016 v 15:53 +0100:
>> With last release, we've overcome claimed support for 4.4. till
>> October
>> 1, 2016. If this was really last release in 4.4 series, it should be
>> probably announced as well. Or is there reason to extend support?
>
> There is some negative feedback on this decision:
>
> https://github.com/phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin/issues/12790

Every piece of user feedback is relevant and noteworthy, but so far this
appears to just be one user. 4.4 is an old codebase that diverges from
4.0 and 4.6 in many ways, and maintaining it is non-trivial work. I
assume that most people running such old versions of MySQL and PHP are
doing so because they're on an LTS Linux version, and in those cases
it's more the responsibility of the distribution to provide security
support rather than us. We can't keep supporting every version forever;
those PHP and MySQL versions are already quite outdated.

I feel this is on the distributions to support; we can work with them
(if they reach out to us about it) but I don't feel we need to keep
supporting 4.4.x.

Just my opinion, obviously.