[phpMyAdmin Developers] New feature

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Jan 2 15:33:03 CET 2017

Hello

ashish kakar píše v Po 26. 12. 2016 v 15:06 +0000:
> Hi all. I recently had an idea that I would like to implement in
> phpmyadmin. In the development docs it is mentioned that ideas about
> new features should be discussed on the list before implementing it.
>
> I was working on MySQL (with phpmyadmin) in my last job and I faced
> some problems. Basically when I entered an incorrect query it led to
> data loss and there was no way to recover it. I searched online and
> there were a few people like me who also experienced similar
> problems. Recovery is only possible when there is data backup and
> only to the extent of the frequency of the backups.
>
> Having read about binary logs in MySQL I came up with the idea to
> implement a solution that is able to recover the database by undoing
> only the offending queries. However, to implement this it would be
> necessary to have a web interface to view and select the statements
> that need to be undone. I felt that implementing it as a part of
> phpmyadmin would be better than implementing a standalone solution
> because it would gel very well with it. Also I want this project to
> be open source.
>
> I don't have a lot of experience so I don't know if this is a good
> idea or if there is a better approach to solve this. I would very
> much like your suggestions on this.

The idea is indeed interesting, however I am afraid that the binary
logs do not have the information to rollback the transaction as they
are only interested in moving forward (replaying transaction on
replicated hosts). So you can certainly figure out what query has been
executed, but there is no way to get the old data.

--
	Michal Čihař | https://cihar.com/ | https://weblate.org/