[phpMyAdmin Developers] Single location for classes

Maurício Meneghini Fauth mauriciofauth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:28:03 CEST 2017

Maurício Meneghini Fauth

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Maurício Meneghini Fauth píše v Út 13. 06. 2017 v 21:35 -0300:
> > Currently, classes do not have a single location in the directory
> > structure. The class files are mixed with other kinds of files in the
> > libraries directory, and the PMA namespace points to the root path
> > which causes all classes to have a namespace that begins with
> > PMA\libraries. This affects the performance of the autoloader.
>
> Is this something noticeable or just hypothetic?

It's not something I would worry about, because there are certainly things
that hurt performance more than that.
I care more about how the files are organized.

> > One solution to solve this problem would be to move the classes to a
> > new directory that contains only class files and create a new
> > namespace that points to that directory.
> > The directory can have any name that describes it, like lib, classes,
> > includes or src, but what I usually see in open source projects is
> > the src directory.
>
> I don't think src is good fit there, it's good for libraries, but I
> don't think it makes sense for us. Also we've spent quite some time to
> educate people to block access to the libraries folder, so I'd stick
> with that.

As I commented with Isaac, I also think src would not be a good idea at the
moment. I prefer libraries/classes.

> > Then we can use the namespace PhpMyAdmin, which is already used in
> > SqlParser, in the src directory, and after all classes are moved to
> > that directory, we remove the PMA namespace.
>
> I was thinking about namespace unification as well, so this certainly
> makes sense.
>
> How about just registering namespace on the libraries folder (eg.
> PhpMyAdmin\Core)?

I thought about using PhpMyAdmin only on libraries/classes. What do you
think?