[phpMyAdmin Developers] PHP and PhpMyAdmin Licenses

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 19:57:50 CEST 2019

Hi Ashkar,

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 5:32 PM Ashkar Dev <ashkardev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, can anyone answer my questions about PHP and PhpMyAdmin Licenses?

I can try. Note that I'm not a lawyer and my answers are, mostly, my
interpretation of license terms.

> Can I create web application with PHP and sell it and prevent buyer from reselling?

PHP is a programming language and doesn't explicitly require anything
of you or your users/customers. If you choose to use a particular
library within your application, however, you'll be restricted by the
terms of that license. Since this list is about the phpMyAdmin
application, you may be able to get more specific answers from the
developers of the libraries you use or from a general PHP interest
mailing list.

The phpMyAdmin program, for instance, is distributed under the GPL2
license (https://www.phpmyadmin.net/license/) which allows others
(such as web hosts) to distribute the application or make
modifications, but requires that the source be available and that any
changes are published. Other licenses can prevent commercial use
outright.

> is it legal? what the licenses is about?

Hope that helps,
Isaac