[Phpmyadmin-news] phpMyAdmin security alert (PMASA-2004-4)

Mon Dec 13 06:21:02 CET 2004

phpMyAdmin security announcement

    Announcement-ID: PMASA-2004-4
    Date: 2004-12-13

    execution and file disclosure.

    We  received  a security advisory from Nicolas Gregoire (exaprobe.com)
    about  those  vulnerabilities  and  we wish to thank him for his work.
    Both  vulnerabilites  can  be exploited only on a web server where PHP
    safe mode is off.
    The vulnerabilities apply to those points:
     1. Command  execution:  since phpMyAdmin 2.6.0-pl2, on a system where
        external MIME-based transformations are activated, an attacker can
        put into MySQL data an offensive value that starts a shell command
        when browsed.
     2. File  disclosure:  on  systems  where  the  UploadDir  mecanism is
        active, read_dump.php can be called with a crafted form; using the
        fact  that the sql_localfile variable is not sanitized can lead to
        a file disclosure.

    Severity:
    As  any  of  those vulnerabilites can be used for command execution or
    file  disclosure, we consider them to be serious (on servers where PHP
    safe mode is off).

    Affected versions:
    Command execution problem: since phpMyAdmin 2.6.0-pl2. File disclosure
    problem: vulnerable since at least version 2.4.0.

    Unaffected versions:
    CVS HEAD has been fixed. The 2.6.1-rc1 release.

    Solution:
    We strongly advise everyone to upgrade to version 2.6.1 when released.
    Meanwhile,  setting  PHP safe mode to on avoids those problems. If not
    feasible,  you  should  deactivate MIME-based external transformations
    and the UploadDir mecanism.

    Reference:
    http://www.exaprobe.com/labs/advisories/esa-2004-1213.html

    For  further  information and in case of questions, please contact the
    phpMyAdmin team. Our website is http://www.phpmyadmin.net/.