[Phpmyadmin-news] phpMyAdmin 2.11.0 is released

Marc Delisle Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
Tue Aug 21 23:20:46 CEST 2007

             _           __  __          _       _           _
       _ __ | |__  _ __ |  \/  |_   _   / \   __| |_ __ ___ (_)_ __
      | "_ \| "_ \| "_ \| |\/| | | | | / _ \ / _` | "_ ` _ \| | "_ \
      | |_) | | | | |_) | |  | | |_| |/ ___ \ (_| | | | | | | | | | |
      | .__/|_| |_| .__/|_|  |_|\__, /_/   \_\__,_|_| |_| |_|_|_| |_|
      |_|         |_|           |___/                          2.11.0
                                       http://www.phpmyadmin.net

phpMyAdmin 2.11.0 - August 21, 2007
===================================

A set of PHP-scripts to administrate MySQL over the Web.

Announcement
------------

The phpMyAdmin Project is proud to announce the immediate availability
of phpMyAdmin 2.11.0, which will probably be the last series supporting
PHP 4.

This version supports creating VIEWs from query results
and can manage triggers, procedures and functions. It also supports
MySQL 5.0.37 query profiling and has an improved interface for servers
hosting thousands of databases and tables.

phpMyAdmin is a web administration tool for MySQL databases, intended to
handle a whole database server as well as a single database. Over the
years, it has become the most popular Web GUI for MySQL.

Improvements
------------

+ [import] support handling of DELIMITER to mimic mysql CLI,
   thanks to fb1
+ improved PHP 6 compatibility
+ [core] added PMA_fatalError() and made use of it
+ [doc] changed all documentation in config.inc.php
   to phpDocumentor style
+ [data] support for CREATE VIEW from query results
+ [gui] dropped css/ folder and moved into root of PMA
+ [l10n] new: Sinhala, Macedonian
+ [export] YAML export (see yaml.org), thanks to Bryce Thornton
+ [upload] moved file upload functionality into own class
+ [upload] make use of cfg['TempDir'] for file uploads
+ [server] improved display of binary logs
+ [data] better error handling in tbl_create.php
+ [routines] from Patch #1649881, thanks to Mike Beck
+ [querywindow] store sql history in session
+ [querywindow] sql history now without db too
+ [querywindow] tweaks in sql history view
+ [export] Native Excel (Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer) improvements,
    thanks to Christian Schmidt
+ [doc] requirement of mcrypt on 64-bit, thanks to Isaac Bennetch
+ RFE #1435922 [gui] navigation frame shows listing of databases
   when none selected
+ [data] support BIT datatype (under mysqli),
   thanks to Christian Schmidt
+ [display] automatic confirmation for sort by key,
   thanks to Juergen Wind
+ [data] can now choose the number of insert rows
+ RFE #1704779 [gui] link documentation from login page
+ RFE #1513345 [setup] check control user connection during setup
+ [structure] TRIGGERS: display/edit/drop/SQL export
+ [browse] store browse state in session per query
+ [gui] Insert/Edit: no longer display the Go button each 15 lines
   but just at the end of a row
+ [gui] Query window: use verbose server name if any
+ [auth] patch #1712514 specify host for single signon,
   thanks to Thierry
+ [gui] Navigator for the db list in the navigation panel
+ [gui] Navigator for the table list in the content panel
+ [display] Support for MySQL 5.0.37 profiling
+ RFE #1743983 [gui] Replace max_characters by a configurable param:
   cfg['MaxCharactersInDisplayedSQL']
+ [display] patch #1749705, Allow multibyte characters in number
   formatting, thanks to garas
+ [privileges] Support password hashing on the Edit Privileges
   interface
+ [gui] Export: Select All/Unselect All over the choices,
   thanks to Florian Schmitz

Detailed list of changes is available under
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ChangeLog.txt

Availability

This way, you will be informed of new updates and security fixes.
It is a read only list, and traffic is not greater than a few
mail every year.

Support and Documentation
-------------------------

The documentation is included in the software package as text and
HTML file, but can also be downloaded from:

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/

The software is provided as is without any express or implied
warranty, but there is a bugs tracker page under:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/   [click on "Bugs"]

In addition, there are also a number of discussion lists
related to phpMyAdmin.  A list of mailing lists with archives
is available at:

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=23067  or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/   [click on "Lists"]

Finally, an users support forum is also available under:

Known bugs
or regularly check the sourceforge bugs tracker.

Donations
---------
The project accepts donations to help improve the product. There is
a "Donations" link on http://www.phpmyadmin.net.

Description
-----------

(from http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation)
phpMyAdmin handles the administration of MySQL over the Web. It
can manage a whole MySQL server as well as a single database.

Currently it can:

* easily browse through databases and tables
* create, copy, rename, alter and drop databases
* create, copy, rename, alter and drop tables
* do table maintenance
* add, edit and drop fields
* execute any SQL-statement, even multiple queries
* create, alter and drop indexes
* load text files into tables
* create (*) and read dumps of tables or databases
* export (*) data to SQL, CSV, XML, Word, Excel, PDF and Latex formats
* administer multiple servers
* manage MySQL users and privileges
* check server settings and runtime information with configuration hints
* check referential integrity in MyISAM tables
* using Query-by-example (QBE), create complex queries automatically
    connecting required tables
* create PDF graphics of your Database layout
* search globally in a database or a subset of it
* transform stored data into any format using a set of predefined functions,
    like displaying BLOB-data as image or download-link
* support InnoDB tables and foreign keys (see FAQ 3.6)
* support mysqli, the improved MySQL extension (see FAQ 1.17)
* communicate in 54 different languages

    (*)  phpMyAdmin can compress (Zip, GZip -RFC 1952- or Bzip2 formats)
         dumps and CSV exports if you use PHP4 >= 4.0.4 with Zlib support
         (--with-zlib) and/or Bzip2 support (--with-bz2).

Authors & Copyright
-------------------

Copyright (C) 1998-2000
       Tobias Ratschiller <tobias_at_ratschiller.com>

Copyright (C) 2001-2007
        Marc Delisle <Marc.Delisle_at_cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca>
        Olivier Müller <om_at_omnis.ch>
        Robin Johnson <robbat2_at_users.sourceforge.net>
        Alexander M. Turek <me_at_derrabus.de>
        Michal Cihar <michal_at_cihar.com>
        Garvin Hicking <me_at_supergarv.de>
        Sebastian Mendel <cybot_tm_at_users.sourceforge.net>
          + many other people
          (check the CREDITS section of our documentation)

(at your option) any later version.

along with this program; if not, write to

Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
59 Temple Place, Suite 330,
Boston, MA 02111-1307  USA

Marc Delisle / 2007-08-21