[Phpmyadmin-devel] Big bug to confirm!

Loïc loic-div at ifrance.com
Tue Aug 28 16:44:50 CEST 2001

Hi Benjamin & all!

>Well I find that quite strange. I had tested a bit and really thought
>comments were harmless in sql queries.

My tests: remove the call to remove_remarks in db_readdump.php3
then try to upload and execute a dump file containing:
---------- file start here ---------
# table `test2` structure

CREATE TABLE test2 (
  id mediumint(8) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  value text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

# table `test2` data

INSERT INTO test2 VALUES (1,'normal data');
INSERT INTO test2 VALUES (2,'!!! Exclamation !!!');
------ eof -------------

You should be displayed an error message because since...
- ... the first comment line and the "create table" statement are
  submitted at once...
- ... and the second comment line and the first  "insert into"
  statement are they are submitted at once...
... mysql understand that the only instruction to execute is the
second "insert into" statement, all other lines are comments :(

>Anyway, if you try to remove comments again, you have
>to ignore '#' that are in SQL strings if you don't want to
>bring back the # bug (#444279).

That's the annoying point...

Loïc