[Phpmyadmin-devel] 2 versions

Geert Lund - SilverSoft Productions glund at silversoft.dk
Wed Jul 25 19:54:59 CEST 2001

> okay, i agree your arguments, but every time we made
> the next release candidate (like 2.3.0 rc1, 2.4.0 rcX, ...)
> the real development in cvs stops, if we have no alternative
> cvs tree.

I agree - and it makes it a hell lot more difficult to trace changes and
the influence of these changes to existing code. When involving many
deveopers spread around the world - CVS becomes very essential to other
developers in the spirit of checking code with changes made by other
developers.

CVS is actually working as a developer-community and more important as a
documentation of all minor/major changes - making it a lot easier to
backtrace introduced bugs and resolving those.

So my conclusion: when developers ain't sitting around in the same
office or building - CVS is essential to successfull development and
bug-tracing/solving and it's really worth the trouble of maintaing
"branches" - making it possible for everyone to see changes. So it's a
bad idea to skip CVS and everyones staring to develop new features /
making code more efficient in their own versions - making it a hell lot
more dificult to merge all those versions in the end...

So let's keep the development visible to all in CVS and let it help in
keeping the development-team together and focused on the same goal :-)))

--
Kind regards
Geert Lund