[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: Multi-language support

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Mon May 7 10:35:36 CEST 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001, [iso-8859-1] Loïc wrote:
> On Sun, 6 May 2001, Robin wrote:
> >Our offical DTD header block is now
> ><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> Ouch, UTF-8 ? Many browsers won't like this charset. Actually I'm afraid
> only
> the major ones (IE and Moz. -then maybe NN6-) knows this charset.
The majority of browsers will ignore the XML tag :-)
Thusly, the problem doesn't exist.

> Moreover I've faced some problems with this instruction inside php files:
> the php
> parser try... to parse <?xml.... How do you avoid this?
Turn off the parsing of short PHP tags in the ini file. I had to do this
long ago because I do the odd bit of XML with PHP already. I think there
is a way you can do it in the .htaccess file as well (or something).

> >The idea I had, there exists a common CSS file, that does NOT comply for
> >the NN4 parent bug. The PHP file reads it in, and spits out a new one that
> >is complete, rather like the CSS validator by W3. As a result, we only
> >have to maintain the common one and one per language, and the PHP file
> >spits out a combined one, that could even be customized per browser.
>
> OK.
>
> >Text direction and font face are a function of the character set.
>
> Have you tried this with Moz or NN? As far as I remenber it won't work
> with NN4 at least. Not a big problem nevertheless: NN4 does not support
> any directive (even HTML/XHTML) for text direction :(
Actually, I have seen other text directions in NN4 before, notably
arabic on my friends computer. (Well he runs arabic windows as well)
I'll get him to try it on Moz to see if that works.

--
---
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
ICQ#       : 30269588 or 41961639
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net
Time Zone  : Pacific Daylight (GMT - 8)
-----GEEK CODE-{---
Version: 3.12 Serial: 2001041400
e* h! tv-- X+ W+++ N+++ w--- M P+ R O-
D++ V-- PS+ PE-- Y+ PGP++ r !y t-- 5
s+:- b+++
---}-GEEK CODE-----
-----PGP INFO-{---
Key ID:0x7E20DFA1
FingerPrint:
5447C73A 30FB144C 89521B69 2D6A615E 7E20DFA1
---}-PGP INFO-----