[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: Multi-language support

Loïc loic-div at ifrance.com
Mon May 7 10:52:20 CEST 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Robin wrote:
>> Ouch, UTF-8 ? Many browsers won't like this charset. Actually I'm afraid
>> only the major ones (IE and Moz. -then maybe NN6-) knows this charset.
>The majority of browsers will ignore the XML tag :-)
>Thusly, the problem doesn't exist.

Good reply ;)

>> Moreover I've faced some problems with this instruction inside php files:
>> the php parser try... to parse <?xml.... How do you avoid this?
>Turn off the parsing of short PHP tags in the ini file. I had to do this
>long ago because I do the odd bit of XML with PHP already. I think there
>is a way you can do it in the .htaccess file as well (or something).

Arg, that's a problem because the new version had an important improvement
as to me : users no long need to play with the 'register_globals' and the
'magic_quotes' directives inside their php configuration or some '.htaccess'
files.
No other way to fix the problem with the '<?xml' tag? Maybe can we use an
'echo' or a 'print'?

>Actually, I have seen other text directions in NN4 before, notably
>arabic on my friends computer. (Well he runs arabic windows as well)
>I'll get him to try it on Moz to see if that works.

See for example 'www.arabvista.com': to ensure NN4 users are able to read
Arabic pages in a convenient format, they have to 'double-write' their html
pages
:(

Loic