[Phpmyadmin-devel] Detect Language AND Character Set

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Sun May 13 12:06:09 CEST 2001

I'm trying to figure out a way to get the language and character set from
a browser, without having to ask the user.

I can get the language from the $HTTP_SERVER_VARS, but i'm having a lot of
difficulty getting the character set.

Any suggestions? The code is also going to into my phpDNS project, as i've
realized that I can take the time to design a proper i18n system for it at
the start, and avoid problems that might cause later, and i can bring some
of the experience into getting phpMyAdmin nicely multi-lingual with
foreign character sets.

Also, in my reading on character sets, I have come across several
documents that point out if you explictly specify a font that does not
contain good characters for a foreign character set, some browsers will
fail to render the foreign text correctly, because they look at the font
instead of the character set setting. This may end up being the fix we
were looking for the Thai not rendering.

--
---
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
ICQ#       : 30269588 or 41961639
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net
Time Zone  : Pacific Daylight (GMT - 8)
-----GEEK CODE-{---
Version: 3.12 Serial: 2001041400
e* h! tv-- X+ W+++ N+++ w--- M P+ R O-
D++ V-- PS+ PE-- Y+ PGP++ r !y t-- 5
s+:- b+++
---}-GEEK CODE-----
-----PGP INFO-{---
Key ID:0x7E20DFA1
FingerPrint:
5447C73A 30FB144C 89521B69 2D6A615E 7E20DFA1
---}-PGP INFO-----