[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: Detect Language AND Character Set

Loïc loic-div at ifrance.com
Mon May 14 10:44:00 CEST 2001

Hi all!

>I can get the language from the
>$HTTP_SERVER_VARS, but i'm having a lot of
>difficulty getting the character set.

I'm afraid there is no way to do it, sorry!

>Also, in my reading on character sets, I have come
>across several documents that point out if you explictly
>specify a font that does not contain good characters for a
>foreign character set, some browsers will fail to render
>the foreign text correctly, because they look at the font
>instead of the character set setting. This may end up
>being the fix we were looking for the Thai not rendering.

Right, I think you should never specify a font face except
in the case of a language that do not have a official ISO
code defined for it yet (for example we've faced the
problem with Georgian for phpMyChat).
At least you should always use a true and complete font family directive, I
mean for example:
* {font-family: helvetica, arial, geneva, sans-serif;}
where 'sans-serif' is always specified.

Regards,
Loic