[Phpmyadmin-devel] MAJOR suggestion
robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Fri May 18 08:48:17 CEST 2001
after investigating character sets & languages for quite a while now, and
writing a correct implentation of a language system for my
phpDNS project, i wanted to propose adding the same system to phpMyAdmin.
- Can detect user language and character set from browser, incl regional
- supports HTTP/1.1 language/charset q-values.
- automatically sets correct fonts.
- can figure out the most likely language to use if the exact language
support is not available.
if 'fr-ca' is supported (not plain 'fr'), but the user requests 'fr-ch',
they will get 'fr-ca' since it's the closest to 'fr-ch' that is available.
- all language data stored in a database, for easy updating
- able to include mroe than one language, eg load 'fr' and then 'fr-ca' on
top of that to redefine only some tags.
- supports multiple character sets per language
- call to get a string is i18n("String_Name")
- database uses a single table, and stores data in a tree structure inside
- OpTree is the wrapper class for handling the table.
- (I also use it to store most of the configuration options for the
- On login, all the language data for your selected language is stored in
a session file, to avoid repeated database access.
- don't know if sessions are supported on non-UNIX platforms
I think sessions are supported on NT, but not sure beyond that
- database overhead on first loadup
actualy gets called twice, once for the login page, and once for
the rest of the system
- size of session files
possibly I should reduce the session file lifetime?
(can anybody suggest any more?)
see the main phpDNS active working tree at
- login: test
- password: test
see the OpTree testing/modication backend
- click on 'view tree' to a get a quick dump of the page
Robin Hugh Johnson
QTOD: "I used to be an idealist, but I got mugged by reality."
E-Mail : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net
Time Zone : Pacific Daylight (GMT - 8)
Version: 3.12 Serial: 2001041400
GU/CS d- a--- C++++ L++++ U*+++ E----
e* h! tv-- X+ W+++ N+++ w--- M P+ R O-
D++ V-- PS+ PE-- Y+ PGP++ r !y t-- 5
5447C73A 30FB144C 89521B69 2D6A615E 7E20DFA1
More information about the Developers