[Phpmyadmin-devel] MAJOR suggestion

Olivier M. qmail at orion.8304.ch
Fri May 18 13:41:39 CEST 2001

Hello Robin & you all,

Short answer (sorry, quite busy on other stuff currently), with my
opinion.

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 11:48:17PM -0700, Robin Johnson wrote:
> after investigating character sets & languages for quite a while now, and
> writing a correct implentation of a language system for my
> phpDNS project, i wanted to propose adding the same system to phpMyAdmin.
> [...]

All this sounds quite good. The only think I not really find good
is the need of a database for the strings : phpMyAdmin is mainly used
and installed by "php&mysql newbies", and if we ask them to install and configure
a table just to be able to use phpMyAdmin, I'm pretty sure there will be lots
of posts in the help forums... :)

> Features:
> - Can detect user language and character set from browser, incl regional
>   variants

it's already the case (added by myself, and then completed by loic)

> - supports HTTP/1.1 language/charset q-values.

what's that ? : the Content-Type: text/html; charset=xxxxx stuff ?

> - automatically sets correct fonts.

would be nice, right.

> - can figure out the most likely language to use if the exact language
> support is not available.

ok, easy thing :)

> - all language data stored in a database, for easy updating

maybe practical, but not new-user-friendly, and one textfile per
language, plus a entry in the language-list is not so bad I think
(IMHO of course :).

> - able to include mroe than one language, eg load 'fr' and then 'fr-ca' on
>   top of that to redefine only some tags.

let the translator work :)

> Known caveats:
> - don't know if sessions are supported on non-UNIX platforms
> 	I think sessions are supported on NT, but not sure beyond that

phpMyAdmin is still php3-based, so no sessions yet.

> - size of session files
> 	possibly I should reduce the session file lifetime?

could be done in php.ini: session.cache_expire / session.cookier_lifetime, etc.

> see the main phpDNS active working tree at
> http://phpdns-local.orbis-terrarum.net/phpDNS/userspace/
> - login: test
> - password: test

mmm, after login, I only see blank white screen (netscape under windows),
under opera there are some more things, but lots of 404. Will try
again later...

Voila, these were just 100% personal comments: let's see what
the others think :)

Regards & nice week-end to you,
Olivier