[Phpmyadmin-devel] how to improve dump feature

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Fri Sep 28 08:04:03 CEST 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, [iso-8859-1] Loïc wrote:
> >Would there possibly be a way, that we can compress the
> >dump statements one by one as we send them?
>
> I can't imagine a way to do this:
> - you can not send headers to enforce download and
>   headers to reload the script in the same time;
Why would we _need_ to send the reload headers if we are giving the client
the download headers?

> - you can not compress by parts as far as I know (ie
>   compress the beginning of the dump, then append
>   a second compressed part of the dump....).
take a look at how how 'tar xvfz' works, the kernel source is a good
example if you have it handy. gzip in that case does indeed work in
blocks, and I am certain we can exploit that to our advantage.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
"Robbat2"
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
ICQ#       : 30269588 or 41961639
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net
Time Zone  : Pacific Daylight (GMT - 8)
-----PGP INFO-{---
Key ID:0x7E20DFA1
FingerPrint:
5447C73A 30FB144C 89521B69 2D6A615E 7E20DFA1
---}-PGP INFO-----