[Phpmyadmin-devel] official domain name phpmyadmin.net

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Mon Apr 8 12:55:09 CEST 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Marc Delisle wrote:
> I am not against using functions, but:
> - what about the existing arrays in config.inc.php3?
That is the reason I was using serialize and unserialize to store the
data. Those functions preserve arrays perfectly.

> - implementing pma_getvariable() all over the code will be a lot of
> work, so I suggest before starting this, to think also about a possible
> User Preferences module (db-stored also).
Could we decide on which of the options in the current configuration
should be available to each user in their personal preferences?

Since it will just be the redefinition of some of the options from the
main configuration, I propose doing it like this:

Read in the master 'config_master' table.
Read in a client override table 'config_user' which is contains all the
fields of 'config_master' plus one additional field for the username.
The options for 'config_user' are set over the existing 'config_master'
options.

Voila! You have user preferences. But we would need to put some security
on that 'config_user' table, as there are probably some things that we do
not want the user being able to change.

Also, looking at the security functions of this, as well as the speed
considerations, using a database configuration system will REQUIRE a
system that supports sessions, otherwise you risk poor performance
(re-reading the configuration data on each page). By using sessions, it
could be loaded once on login, and then re-loaded if the user changes
preferences.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net