[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: $cfg and working CVS

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Thu Apr 25 09:02:04 CEST 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Loïc wrote:
> >A person copying a configuration file say between 2.2.0
> >and 2.2.6 would face the same problem anyway, just because
> >new variables have been added.
> Hum, you can use the config file from the 2.2.0 release till the 2.2.5
> release and, if you can't with the 2.2.6 release, it's only because of
> the "$cfgPmaabsoluteUri" directive that must be set now. Then we may
> only ensure compatibily with the config file from the 2.2.6 release now.
Hmm, ok.

> >Possibly we just get around this by documenting the fact that
> >is it not recommended they use their old configuration file
> >between releases
> That's already in the documentation ;)
Ok.

> I wonder what we will do if we add some directive in the next
> releases? Won't we have to restore some pices of code to ensure
> compatibility? In this case the file Alexander added to the CVS
> is not so bad IMHO.
There are going to be a number of new configuration variables coming into
the configuration file to support my DB-based configuration. I think that
supporting such compatibility across major releases like 2.3.0 is not
worthwhile, as it adds unnessecary work for us in Alexander's config
compatibility file.

Loic: Which pieces of code do you think we would need to
restore to ensure compatibility?

> >On the download page, for version 2.2.5, we see that there
> >were about 15000 downloads for files with .php3 extension, and
> >this is probably a good indicator of the popularity of PHP3,
> >even if .php extensions tend to be 5 times more downloaded.
> I agree!
But is that a TRUE indicator of what version of PHP they are running? I
use the php3 extensions even tho I run PHP4. The main reason I use the
php3 extensions, is that I run my working copy of phpMyAdmin directly from
my CVS copy, so that it gets well tested.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2