[Phpmyadmin-devel] QBE Updates

Jay F. Davis jfdavis at mac.com
Thu Jan 24 20:07:03 CET 2002

Hello:

I've been following development of phpMyAdmin for some time now and would
like to contribute. First, let me say thanks. I'm really impressed with
the improvements to phpMyAdmin that I've seen just in the past few months.

I've been thinking for some time that I would like to make some
improvements to the Query by Example (QBE) page of phpMyAdmin. To that
end, does anyone have any particular ownership of this section of
phpMyAdmin? I don't want to step on toes but I do think I can contribute
something valuable.

The first thing I would like to do is add alias functionality to the QBE
page. That is, table and field alias support. One of the first benefits
of this is the ability to use the same table more than once in the same
query. Also, I think it wouldn't be too difficult to allow functions in
field definitions as part of the same changes.

Second, I would like to add the ability to load an sql statement into the
QBE grid. That is, import or paste a valid sql statement and have the QBE
page get filled in with all the appropriate columns, etc. That would
greatly simplify the use of QBE since already-created sql could be reused
and modified easily.

I have some other ideas but these should make a good start.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Jean-François (Jay) Davis
Atlanta, GA USA

p.s. Je parle français aussi. Alors, repondez-vous en français si c'est
préferable.