[Phpmyadmin-devel] PmaAbsoluteUri again

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Tue Jul 2 23:40:03 CEST 2002

Hi List,

I've just had a weekend away (mostly vacation, but with a little bit of
work). I set up a copy of phpMyAdmin in a specific physical location, and
I had a little problem.

Basically they have a central copy of phpMyAdmin running, and the remote
sites ALL access it via SSH tunnels. Yes, they do break HTTP/1.1 by doing
this, as the server never gets a correct hostname, but rather a huge
variety of different things.

The smallest remote sites end up using http://localhost:(specific port #)/
as they are only one computer, but some of the larger ones use
http://local_gateway:(specific port #)/

All of this traffic, regardless of the hostname and port involved is sent
to the main http server at HQ, and all needs to work.

The best I could do at the moment was leave $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] unset,
and comment out the warning in the code. But I think there might be a
large number of other cases like this, where the auto-detection code for
the PmaAbsoluteUri works perfectly, so we can leave it empty, and we do
indeed want to get rid of the warning.

But we don't want people abusing the option at the same time, so possibly
we can add a simple option at the end as
$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri_DisableWarning']
Which can be used to disable the warning, and has lots of comments around
it to tell them about it.

If this idea is acceptable, I'll write it up.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2