[Phpmyadmin-devel] SQL Standards

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Fri Jul 12 08:09:10 CEST 2002

The person I was working with pointed me to a little used link on their
site, and I believe that all of us here should take a look at it when we
have time.

It's a link to get the draft copy of the SQL-200x standard, which,
according to him as he is on the ISO SQL committee, is fairly near ready
to be released. He also says there will be no more fixes to it, other than
spelling/typo fixes.

Here is the link:
http://www.jtc1sc32.org/sc32/jtc1sc32.nsf/23933607697154bf852566160054bcf7/fc799c12b530dfb188256b410063e8cf?OpenDocument

You want the first PDF file.

Most notably in it, I find that some things that MySQL thinks are valid,
are NOT part of the SQL standard. ESP how it does the valid identifier
tokens that I had trouble with.

MySQL claims valid tokens are:
([A-Za-z$_0-9]*[a-zA-Z$_][A-Za-z$_0-9]*)
But the standard says:
([a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z_0-9]*)

There are a number of other things, so such a point where I have this
question:

Should we explictly support MySQL where it diverges from the standard, or
only support the SQL standard, with minimal MySQL extensions?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2