[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: suggestion for Documentation after 2.3

Marc Delisle Delislma at CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca
Fri Jul 26 05:56:04 CEST 2002

Beck, Mike wrote:

>>>My idea was to introduce something like context help in phpMyAdmin.
>>>I'd also add those ? icons to the interface, but instead of
>>>
>>jumping to an
>>
>>>anchor in the documentation I'd prefer to display a short
>>>
>>(maybe even
>>
>>>localized) text in a JS window that tells the user more a
>>>
>>bout a specific interface
>>
>>>element.
>>>I'd also offer this context help for popular error messages
>>>
>>i.e. if the
>>
>>>MySQL server refuses the username / password.
>>>

>>I definitely support this idea of context help, using the /lang files.
>>

> well i would use javascript if possible as well, but do you mean just using
> an alert()?
> i'd rather open a new window each time the user clicks on the ? instead of
> sending all the strings with the page when he opens it so i can just display
> them as a message. because otherwise we'd really have to write _very_ short
> helptext or we would be sending a lot of helptext data which only few users
> will ever see.
>
> which is also why i wouldn't put them in the normal lang files - these get
> included on every page, so with every page we'd be putting every available
> shorthelp for all pages ....

We are already including the whole lang file on every page, even if the
messages won't be used, and PHP seems happy with this :)

We are not sending the whole lang file to the browser.