[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: suggestion for Documentation after 2.3

Alexander Turek derrabus at gmx.de
Sat Jul 27 11:16:01 CEST 2002

> well i would use javascript if possible as well, but do you mean just
> using an alert()?

No, I don't like alert() windows for help texts because they are only useful
for small strings. Furthermore you may disable specific alert messages if
you are using Opera 6. This "feature" would be very annoing for our purposes
;-)

> i'd rather open a new window each time the user clicks on the ? instead of
> sending all the strings with the page when he opens it so i can just
> display them as a message.

That's the way to go. I meant a small window, maybe 300x100 pixels, without
menu bar etc. that only displays the help text.

> which is also why i wouldn't put them in the normal lang files - these get
> included on every page, so with every page we'd be putting every available
> shorthelp for all pages ....

We would only need the help texts in this small JS window. Your idea would
be to introduce seperate language files only for these help texts, right?
I don't like this idea very much, let's see how it works if we do use the
normal language files. If it makes PMA too slow, we'd split the language files
up.

Alexander

http://www.gmx.net