[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: New backwards compatibility code / 2.2.7-rc1 release

Rabus rabus at bugfixes.info
Wed Jun 19 14:57:03 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Delisle" <Delislma at CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca>
> As I find 2.3.0-dev stable enough to be renamed 2.3.0-rc1 and released
> (with some minor things deactivated for now as I said previously), I
> don't think it's a good idea to release 2.2.7-rc1, because we are about
> to release 2.3.0-rc1 and I fear that 2.3.0-rc1 would not get the same
> kind of testing from users.

New features cause new bugs. We need a stable release as a backup, as a
reference.

> I also think about support forums, where it will be easier to support
> only one new version instead of 2 new versions.
>
> Sorry if this bothers your agenda, or other developers' agenda who
> believed in the idea of 2.2.7.

It bothers me indeed.
Let's have a compromise: If 2.2.7 contains bugs, these bugs have to appear
in 2.3.0, too, because 2.2.7 is only a bugfix release for 2.2.6.
I'll go on merging fixes into 2.2.7 and we release a 2.2.7-final without any
RCs together with 2.3.0. Would that be OK for you?

Alexander