[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: Testings and opinions

Lo�c loic-div at ifrance.com
Thu May 2 07:35:09 CEST 2002

>Well, "must" is not the right word here, IMHO "should" is :-)

As you want to, let's say "should" ;)

>So why not just choose something which fits - say - 50% or
>more of all users *by default* over something 100% of all
>users have to set manually? I mean, I think I got the issue,
>but IMHO it's worth thinking about it again.

Don't forget one thing: we are the ones that receive most of
the "help, I've got a problem" messages about phpMyAdmin.
And it's quite easy to reply "he, he, you forgot to put the
'http' scheme in this setting", "this setting is case
sensistive" or "why don't you use the dynamic way suggested
in the documentation ;)" but it's really hard to guess which
server variable is not defined the way it should and causes
phpMyAdmin to fail.

Just think most of "rookies" won't change this variable if it
contains "cryptic" variables they don't know anything about.
And, of course, they won't be able to tell us before 10
messages what are environment variables their server define.

Loïc