[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: $cfgPmaAbsoluteUri

Thu May 2 08:38:17 CEST 2002

"Loïc" a écrit :

> >Well, "must" is not the right word here, IMHO "should" is :-)
>
> As you want to, let's say "should" ;)
>
> >So why not just choose something which fits - say - 50% or
> >more of all users *by default* over something 100% of all
> >users have to set manually? I mean, I think I got the issue,
> >but IMHO it's worth thinking about it again.
>
> Don't forget one thing: we are the ones that receive most of
> the "help, I've got a problem" messages about phpMyAdmin.
> And it's quite easy to reply "he, he, you forgot to put the
> 'http' scheme in this setting", "this setting is case
> sensistive" or "why don't you use the dynamic way suggested
> in the documentation ;)" but it's really hard to guess which
> server variable is not defined the way it should and causes
> phpMyAdmin to fail.
>
> Just think most of "rookies" won't change this variable if it
> contains "cryptic" variables they don't know anything about.
> And, of course, they won't be able to tell us before 10
> messages what are environment variables their server define.

If we put some automatic configuration of $cfgPmaAbsoluteUri that works
on the majority of servers, we will avoid all the help requests we
are *now* receiving about those servers (when then have the new version :)

Apache is currently at 56% of the market share.

Then we put in the file an explanation, and a commented out line like this:

//$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = '';

to be filled in for those servers where the automatic thing does not work.

I am not looking for a perfect solution, just a better one.