[Phpmyadmin-devel] Bug #547578

Rabus rabus at bugfixes.info
Fri Oct 11 13:42:07 CEST 2002

Hi list,

I'd like to fix bug #547578 finally. The problem is that Mac systems
obviously do not support the ISO-8859 charsets. This is why
Extended-ASCII characters are not displayed correctly on those systems.
There are three possible ways to fix this:

1) We could add a set of new language files that are encoded with the
Mac charsets. Unfortunatly, this would result in larger distribution
packages, but it is the only way to have this problem fixed without
using iconv or recode.

2) We could convert all message strings after having loaded the specific
language file if a Mac client has been detected. This would increase the
server charge because we would convert much more strings than we need
to. Furthermore, the iconv or the recode php extension have to be loaded
for this variant.

3) We could convert the message strings when displaying them. A huge
update would be required here because we need to replace each call of a
$str variable by a call of a new function that converts the string if
nessecary. Like in variant 2, either inconv or recode need to be loaded.

Any suggestions?

Alexander