[Phpmyadmin-devel] 'Insert data from a textfile into table' link place

garvin_mailings at supergarv.de garvin_mailings at supergarv.de
Sun Feb 2 14:45:21 CET 2003

Hi!

> Probably because it is a lot of work to make run it in every possible
> setup... In PHP 4 are session quite easy, but in PHP 3 you have to write them
> by own or use another library that implements it and you need some place to
> store the session data. You need to make it work also without cookies as some
> users have them disabled... and probably more problems ;-)

Which means, current and future phpMyAdmin-release will always be targeted
at a PHP3 audience as well?

It's not that I think sessions are neccessary for phpMyAdmin, but at some
point I think new features have to overwhelm the effort to stay
backwards-compatible, also because PHP3 get's deprecated nowadays (simply
because of security issues. I wouldn't want older exploitable php-versions
running on my server).  And even then, PHP3-users surely upgrade their
phpMyAdmin releases as often as they upgrade their PHP3... ;-)

Just a general thought, but I think currently there are other tasks to
fulfill than implementing sessions.

Regards,
Garvin.