[Phpmyadmin-devel] 'Insert data from a textfile into table' link place -> php3 support?

Olivier M. qmail at orion.8304.ch
Sun Feb 2 15:59:19 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:02:53AM +0100, Rabus wrote:
> > BTW, as I'm not into the project in general, what are/were
> > your reasons against sessions, if any?
>
> First of all, the PHP3 compatibility. We try to keep the code PHP3
> compatible as far as possible so we cannot take session support as a
> requirement of phpMyAdmin.
> But imho it'll be great to use sessions. This should lower down the
> traffic a lot. I even thought about a session-equivalent to the cookie
> authentification mode.

It would be interesting to see how many people are still using
PHP3... Found only stats for php alone (for example:
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200212/apachemods.html ),
nothing comparing php3 and php4.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23067 shows
that there are about 10% people downloading the archive with
php3 file endings, but does it really mean something? I
also usualy get the "php3" version, just to be able to update
easily with a cvs update...

Should we drop php3 support ? PHP4 is already 2 years old now :)

regards,
Olivier