[Phpmyadmin-devel] 'Insert data from a textfile into table' link place

Rabus rabus at bugfixes.info
Sun Feb 2 15:05:34 CET 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: garvin_mailings at supergarv.de

> > Well, some time ago, I suggested to move the query box to a
> > JS window that may be opened via a link in the left frame.
> > If we used this idea, we could replace the old "SQL" tabs
> > (in the db view as well as in the table view) by an
> > "Insert" tab. Here, we could put the whole upload and
> > import stuff. I know this requires JS, but I'm sure we'll
> > find a solution for this :-)
>
> Even though something inside myself screams against using a
> popupwindow and JS-only features, I get to like the idea.

This won't be a JS-only feature. For non-JS users we could still offer
an alternative SQL page.

> But I think this is technically hard to get to work. I think
> the feature would make only sense if the window could hover
> the whole time on screen and will get updated with every
> query, leaving a query-history (which I personally would love
> to have implemented). And there's the problem, without a
> session management you can't get the variable transmission
> really to work. Because of the size of a query, you have to
> do it via POST. You can't redirect form-data from within a
> popup to the parent page. So you have to submit to the popup,
> which then remotely controls a hidden form in the left frame
> (by using opener.form.hiddenarea.value = $_POST['sql']) and
> then remotely submitting that form inside the left frame.

Well, lets leave the query history for now, that's making the whole
thing to complicated :o)
My idea was to make the query box available from every section of
phpMyAdmin without having to leave the current page, e.g. if you view a
query result and want to send a new query for which you need a couple of
values from this result page.

It should be technically possible:
The user clicks on a link in the left frame that opens and focuses the
popup window with the SQL query box. He enters his query and submits it
directly to the main frame of phpMyAdmin instead of the popup window
itself. Then, the result page would close the window automatically.