[Phpmyadmin-devel] Problems with Garvin's Patches

Olivier M. qmail at orion.8304.ch
Tue Feb 25 05:01:09 CET 2003

'morning,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:43:40PM +0100, Rabus wrote:
> > I will add a code to "upgrade" the comment-table structure,
> > if the fields are missing. Or is emitting a red warning on
> > the start page a better way?
>
> I disagree with that because you cannot expect the user to have the
> privileges he needs to change the table structure. Imho, the best
> solution would be to modify the code that checks the status of the
> relational tables. Furthermore, PMA_mysqlDie() shouldn't be called if
> the query fails: In this case, your feature should be disabled, instead.

What about an automatic check on root login ?

- if all the tables are existing & uptodate -> work as usual

- if some tables are outdated: display a kind of splash-screen
  suggesting the required changes, with an "Upgrade" button
  which fixes everything

- and if there are no tables at all (bookmarks, relations, etc):
  allow the root user to create everything "on the fly" (text
  fields asking for User/DB name to use), and which display a
  part of code to copy paste for the config.inc.php file
  (a little bit like phpMyEdit).

so a kind of user-friendly "setup.php" :)

Cheers,
Olivier