[Phpmyadmin-devel] RFD: New feature, Interface implementation (not a feature request! :-)

Robin Johnson robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Wed Jan 29 18:15:03 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:53:00PM +0100, Garvin Hicking wrote:
> > Because they will have the latest version...isn't this most usual reason
> > to update?
> Hm, as a bleeding-edge user of course. But I know of a lot phpMyAdmin-
> Installations using 2.2.xxx
Same here, I've had to use a few of the older ones myself on client
projects anyway. It really won't hurt to only have your feature in 2.4.1
the way I see it, many sysadmins will avoid 2.4.0 because of the
stigmata associated with point releases, and wait for 2.4.1 at the
least.

> Hope everything goes as smoothly as I worked it on my imagination. :-)
Heh, there are always some bumps along the way, the SQL parser I wrote
last summer is twice the size I predicted it would be, mostly because of
all the odd little corner cases that had to get covered.

> I think for the first step column transformations will not work for
> aliases columns. Like when I define a 'image/jpeg'-Transformation on the
> field 'image' I will see the transformation with a query like 'SELECT
> image FROM table' but will not see it if I use 'SELECT image AS bild FROM
> table'. That means, the column name has to match a comment entry. Using
> 'SELECT image_new AS image' instead will transform the image using the
> 'image/jpeg'-Transformation.
Our SQL query analyzer system can tell you what columns are aliased and
much much more, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I think the column name should not be used to define what type of
transform is used, as that restricts the user a lot. Instead just base
the transform off the specified mimetype.

Oh, and once you write up the code for putting the mime-type in, I'll
contribute a little bit of code that can auto-detect what mime-type a
data field should be if there is data in the field but no mime-type
specified. It's just a little bit of code I have kicking around my
personal archives that I wouldn't mind putting to better use.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2